Program for Service Learning and Community Sertvice
The program for Service-Learning and Community Service has been implemented through the Office of Career Development to aid in the enhancement of community alliances and to forge the commitment of students through service actions. Through this endeavor, students will gain leadership skills, societal insight, and the necessary experiences needed to achieve job skills and human relations. Therefore, community service and service learning help build the bridge between serving and learning, while forging the link between the community and higher-learning institutions.
Through the mission of Claflin University, the program for service-learning and community service will enhance the overall vision of preparing students for academic progression and real world engagement. To honor this commitment, the university has implemented a service-learning and community service requirement for all freshmen and sophomore students. The intention of this program is to bring “reality to the classroom”, and to make class coursework more engaging and significant.
Community Service Sign-Up will be held on the following dates:
- Fall- August 27-28, 2012
(Students with the last name beginning with A-O)
- Spring-January 22-23, 2013
(Students with the last name beginning with P-Z)
- Service Requirement: 40 hours
Please adhere to the following guidelines:
- Sign-Up forms may be downloaded from the Career Development Webpage at www.claflin.edu
- Forms must be completed in full and returned to the Community Service email account at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make sure your available dates and times are accurate to ensure correct placement.
- Confirmation emails will be sent within 48 hours of receipt of completed forms.
Students with the last name beginning with A-O will begin servicing agencies on September 4, 2012
Students with the last name beginning with P-Z will begin servicing agencies on January 28, 2013
- Please refer to the Career Development Calendar located on the Career Service Webpage for updates and additional service opportunities.
- Transportation is provided to students to attend community service sites. Please arrive at the van 10 minutes prior to your service time. The van will be located outside of Corson Hall.