GEAR UP Programs
The universal goal of the CLAFLIN UNIVERSITY GEAR UP Programs (CUGU) is to provide academic support and tutoring to increase participants’ academic performance and participation in post-secondary education and to ensure that disadvantaged at-risk middle school students who are enrolled at target schools in Orangeburg Consolidated School District Five are prepared for, pursue, and succeed in post-secondary education.
GEAR UP serves students at William J. Clark Middle School, Robert E. Howard Middle School, and Orangeburg - Wilkinson High School.
The program places emphasis on academic achievement, early comprehensive intervention, parental involvement and empowerment, high expectations, and professional development. Claflin University was the first four-year senior institution GEAR UP (partnership) grantee in the state of South Carolina and was the first Historically Black College and University (HBCU) GEAR UP grantee in the nation.
The Claflin University GEAR UP Program embraces three major goals:
1. to improve low-income students
- Test scores
- High school graduation rates
- College enrollment rates
- Readiness for college success
- Ability to pay for college
2. To enhance and support school improvement efforts that will strengthen:
- Curriculum and course offerings
- Professional development for teachers and staff
3. To build strong partnerships on the local and state levels that will encourage long–term investment and commitment to GEAR UP objectives and services
The Claflin University GEAR UP Program has Seven Major Components, which have all been successfully implemented.
Claflin University GEAR UP Partners:
- Orangeburg Consolidated School District Five
- South Carolina Department of Social Services
- Phi Delta Kappa
- Edisto Health District
- Tri- County Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse
- Orangeburg County Sheriff’s Department
- South Carolina Department of Juvenile Justice
- Orangeburg-Calhoun-Allendale-Bamberg Community Action Agency (OCAB)
- South Carolina Vocational Rehabilitation Agency.
- Jones Insurance Agency
- South Carolina Bank and Trust