Requirements for Transfer Students
A transfer student is one who has attended any post-secondary institution and has not received a bachelor’s degree. This does not include high school students who are enrolled in college-level course work. Students who have satisfactorily completed courses at an accredited institution may be admitted to regular standing with such advanced credits as their previous records may warrant.
How to Apply
- Complete an application for admission.
The application can be completed and submitted online. The application is confidential and will become property of Claflin University.
- Submit your $25 (non-refundable) application fee.
If you submit an electronic online application, the Office of Admissions will waive the $25 (checks or money orders should be made payable to Claflin University).
- Submit official college transcript(s).
The Office of Admissions requires official transcript(s) from ALL colleges and universities previously attended in order to complete the decision-making process.
- Submit the confidential statement.
Transfer students must complete this statement as written proof of good standing from all institutions previously attended.
To be eligible for transfer, a candidate must meet the following requirements:
- Academic credits of all applicants must satisfy entrance requirements as documented through submission of an official transcript from each college or university attended.
- The applicant must submit statements of honorable dismissal from previously attended college(s).
- If less than 30 semester credit hours have been earned, applicants must submit, in addition to college or university transcripts, an official high school transcript, SAT or ACT score, high school grade point average and rank in graduating class.
- Applicants should be prepared to submit course descriptions from the official catalog of the institution(s) from which credits are to be transferred. Students transferring from non-accredited institutions are temporarily categorized as unclassified students.
- The applicant has a cumulative average of at least a 2.0 GPA on a 4.0 scale in the institution from which transferring and is eligible to return to that institution. However, a much higher average is required to be competitive.
- No transfer grades below “C” will be accepted.
- No transfer credit in a major more than 10 years old will be accepted until and unless it is validated by the major department.
- No more than 60 semester credit hours may be transferred from two-year institutions (courses number 100-200).
Students will not receive academic credit for non-credit courses, such as for military training in the armed services of the United States or training provided by law enforcement agencies, government agencies, corporations, industries, associations, labor unions and others unless he or she (1) can provide official transcripts, documentation or endorsements that are approved by the American Council on Education (ACE) in an official ACE transcript, and (2) receives approval from the appropriate department chair and/or school dean.
Transfer credits from unaccredited educational institutions are unacceptable to Claflin University.
Upon their arrival at Claflin, all transfer students should have in their possession an official evaluation of their transcripts by the Office of Admissions listing courses accepted for credit by Claflin.
For further assistance or concerns regarding your evaluation process, contact the Registrar's Office at 803-535-5719.
Your application packet should be submitted via mail, fax or e-mail to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
400 Magnolia Street
Orangeburg, SC 29115
Fax Number: (803) 535-5385
Claflin University’s Office of Admissions will send you a written notification of your admission status after reviewing your completed file, if your application for admission is granted.