What to do when...A program stops responding
Sometimes you have no other choice then to end a program that is not responding. To end a program, you can use the Task Manager. Task Manager provides information about programs and processes running on your computer. You can see the status of the programs that are running and end programs that have stopped responding. In addition, if you are connected to a network, you can view network status and see how your network is functioning. By ending a program, you may lose any work that hasn’t already been saved.
Open the Task Manager by doing the following:
- Press and hold Ctrl+Alt+Delete.
- Click the Task Manager button on the Windows Security box that appears.
- Click on the Applications tab.
- Select the program that has the status "Not Responding".
- Click the End Task button.
- If a second box appears, click the End Task button.
- Wait a few seconds before trying to use the program again.
- If the program becomes non responsive again, try restarting your computer.
If you notice that the same program or software application is continuously non-responsive, there may be a problem with that particular program or some other conflict. Contact the Helpdesk for assistance.