Sustainability begins at home. See some of the many ways we are reducing our environmental impact and promoting a healthier planet.
Panthers Recognized for Going Green!
Our sustainability efforts were recognized in 2013 by the Clark Atlanta University Building Green Initiative when Claflin was named one of the nation's "Top 10 Green HBCUs."
Congratulations to us! Claflin University won the $25,000 GRAND PRIZE in PepsiCo Recycling's Campus Recycling Challenge!
Commitment to Sustainability
Claflin's remarkable commitment to sustainability is evident university wide!
- Cutting-edge research with biofuels and bioremediation. Our world-class faculty have added research related to removing Chromium-6, a cancer-causing chemical found in our drinking water.
- Dining hall trays have been eliminated to conserve water.
- PepsiCo Recycling's Dream Machine aids in the recycling of plastic and aluminum packaging.
- A new campus energy policy launched in 2014, establishing standards and guidelines for energy use at Claflin.
- Solar panel systems on the dining hall, Corson Hall and Kleist Hall reduce energy consumption.
- Biodigester equipment in the dining hall composts food waste.
- The construction of Claflin Commons includes an energy recovery ventilation system that provides better indoor air quality and reduces energy costs.
- Hydris, an on-site Generation system, produces a green cleaning solution that is utilized by housekeeping.
- We signed the "American College and University Presidents' Climate Commitment".
- And more!
Environmental Impact Report
Download the Environmental Impact Report - 2016 (PDF)