New Student Orientation
What is Freshman Orientation?
- A week-long Orientation Program designed to introduce students to important components of collegiate life
- A special year-long Orientation Seminar focusing on the needs of first-year students
- Seminar instructors who are key faculty, staff, and administrators at Claflin University
- Seminars that teach Claflin University’s history
- Seminar supplements that reinforce and extend all elements of the Orientation
- Departmental academic advisors assigned to each student
- Student Peer Orientation Leaders assigned to each seminar section
What happens during Orientation week?
- Learn about the academic experiences from Claflin University faculty
- Meet other students
- Become involved in social events sponsored by your Student Government Association and the University
We are pleased to welcome you, the parents and other family members. We have planned several seminars designed to provide information, materials and contacts to ease your transition as well as that of our new students. You will have an opportunity to get a feel for the Claflin Experience as you dine in the Claflin University Dining Center, help your son or daughter move into a residence hall, visit our bookstore, tour the campus and shop or dine in Orangeburg.
The traditional Parting Ceremony is an event in which parents leave their cherished ones in the capable and caring hands of the Claflin Family. At this ceremony, first-year students say goodbye to family and walk through the Arch of Confidence, cementing their commitment to college excellence.
Held on Sunday, this occasion is the first time that entering students must wear the TFC special dress attire. The attire should be equivalent to Sunday church attire. Young ladies are to wear a white dress with neutral or white hose, or white suit, shirt and white dress shoes. Young men are to wear navy, black or dark grey suits with a white shirt, coordinating tie and dress shoes. During this ceremony students are formally inducted into The Freshman College of Claflin University. Parents, other family members, friends and other supporters are encouraged to return to the University to share this special occasion with the newly inducted students.