Claflin's first library, the Lee Library, was established in 1898. There is evidence that the University supported a small library before 1898, but records of its existence are not available. As the collection of books in the Lee Library expanded, a larger facility was needed. Renamed the Bowen Library, this expanded collection was moved into a renovated building on campus. An annex was added to the Bowen Library in 1960.
The present library, named after Claflin's sixth president, Dr. Hubert Vernon Manning, had its official opening on December 3, 1967. The building was thoroughly renovated in 2001-2002. The Library has a seating capacity of 300.