Friday, August 21, 2020
Please be advised that Claflin University was notified that an employee has tested positive for COVID-19.
As an immediate response to protect our workforce’s health and safety, we are notifying all employees and have taken the following steps:
- All employees in the identified office have been notified;
- Employees in the recognized office will be working remotely for the next week; and
- A third-party vendor will thoroughly sanitize the recognized office/work area.
Please be reminded of the University’s COVID-19 Virtual Resource Center found at www.claflin.edu
. Information on this site will help you to be mindful of the University’s protocols and CDC guidelines to protect your health and those around you.
Tuesday, April 7, 2020
The information below is the university’s remittance/refund process for room and board credit adjustments.
Will I get a refund?
The university will utilize a five-step process in terms of issuing refunds or credits to students as a result of the changes we had to make to the spring 2020 semester due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The steps are as follows:
- We will calculate a pro-rated amount of unused meal plan charges per student. The pro-rated amount will extend from the date the student moved/checked out of the residence halls through the last day of classes in the academic year. Students who did not move/check out of the residence halls prior to 4/12/2020 and did not return to campus prior to 4/12/2020 will have meal plan charges pro-rated from 3/23/2020 through the last day of classes in the academic year.
- We will calculate a pro-rated amount of housing charges based on the date the student moved/checked out of the residence halls as documented by Residential Life.
- If a student currently owes the university funds (balance due on their account), we will offset the pro-rated room and board credit against the amount that is still outstanding. There is a possibility that the amount the student currently owes offsets the total and there is no refund going to the student.
- We will enforce our institutional aid policy. Institutional aid received from the university in order to cover the direct cost of attending the university cannot be refunded. We will offset the pro-rated room and board credit adjustment against the institutional aid and the institutional aid amount awarded to the student for attending the spring semester of 2020 will be adjusted accordingly. This may result in no refund to the student.
- Returning students who do not have a balance due to the university and did not receive institutional aid to cover the direct costs of attendance will have the following options regarding their credit balance:
- refunded to the student
- applied towards summer school tuition (if they are planning to attend)
- applied towards the next academic semester balance.
If the student selects to have the credit applied towards next semester balance, the credit will be a part of your aid package for academic year 2020-2021, applied as a room and board grant-in-aid.
6. If the student is a graduating senior, the credit amount on their account after steps one through four noted above will be remitted to them in a form of their choice (check or direct deposit).
When will I see the credit adjustment applied to my account?
The University will began applying credit adjustments to graduating seniors the week of April 27, 2020. The University will begin applying credit adjustments to returning students the week of May 4, 2020. If you are eligible to receive a remittance, refunds will be processed weekly.
Who can I reach out to if I have more questions about a refund?
- If a student or their parent(s) have questions or comments regarding refunds, please contact the Office of Student Accounts at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- If a student or their parent(s) have questions or comments regarding adjustments to their financial aid package, please contact the Office of Financial Aid at 803.535.5334 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Official University Statements
Tuesday, March 31, 2020 - Please Give - COVID-19 Emergency Student Relief Fund
Friday, March 20, 2020 - Update #5
Sunday, March 15, 2020 - Update #4
Friday, March 13, 2020 - Update #3
Thursday, March 12, 2020 - Claflin University Postpones Inauguration Week Activities
Wednesday, March 11, 2020 - Update #2
Wednesday, March 4, 2020 - Update #1
As we find external resources to help during the COVID-19 pandemic, we will share with you. Click here for a list of external resources.
COVID-19 Monitoring and Testing in South Carolina
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
World Health Organization
COVID-19 Global Map
How to Prepare My Home (CDC)
Education and Outreach Materials (SCDHEC)
How Can I Stop the Spreading of Germs? (CDC)
What Should I do if I'm Sick? (CDC)
News and Video Releases from South Carolina
Up-to-date news and video releases from SCDHEC